Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My in-laws are coming!

Ford texted me yesterday morning informing me that Mama and Daddy (his parents who live in California) are coming over this January 30! OMG! That soon???

Picture courtesy of Bitstrips

Don't get me wrong. I am happy that my in-laws will be visiting us here in Edmonton. I just had a few concerns though...

First, sa January 24 pa lang kami lilipat ng bahay and I feel that we are not ready to 'accept' guests yet. By January 30, wala pa talaga kaming furniture kahit isa (as in nada!). I want my parents-in-law to have a comfortable stay here so I am really worried.

Second, they'll be staying here for 21 days and I don't know how to 'entertain' them especially when Ford's at work. This will be the first time I'll be staying under one roof with my biyenan so I am a bit scared (haha!). I mean, I don't know what the arrangements will be.

Third, I really am not domesticated (yet). I am not good with house chores, especially cooking, and I know na hindi ako papasa sa standards ng oldies. My own mother could attest to that. I remember her always telling me na mapipintasan ako ng biyenan ko pag nakasama ako sa bahay. Naku, eto na yun! #praningako

Forth, Ford's car is only good for two people. We are contemplating on buying a new one come spring time but now that we have the parentals coming soon, what do we do? The only option aside from renting (which is costly, of course) is borrowing Ate June's sedan car. I honestly feel uncomfortable borrowing. Hindi talaga ako mahilig manghiram, and so is Ford.

Fourth, I have plans of starting to work this February and I don't know if I have to delay this since we have guests at home. I would like to believe that I am hospitable, I really don't want my in-laws to feel neglected nor taken for granted when they visit (that's why I am concerned on how to entertain them).

Fifth, I intend to do a lot of shopping days after we move in to our house and I don't know how to do that when they're around. I always shop alone, kahit nga si Ford madalas ayaw kong kasama eh. And oh, kailangan na rin pala naming mag-advance shopping ngayon pa lang para may konting gamit na pagdating nila. Hay, I do not want rush shopping pa naman.

Sixth, I thought I could do something highschoolish this Valentine's Day (since it's the very first Valentine we'd be celebrating together physically). Oh well, better luck next time.

Pero katulad nga ng sabi ni Ford, there is nothing we can do anymore. And we can't say no, right? Ford's been reminding me yesterday that they are not "guests," they're parents.

I have to embrace the fact that they're will be living with us for 21 days. Period.

In fairness, I am grateful to Mama and Daddy because I know they are coming with very good intentions. Daddy, a more experienced handyman, only wants to help his son fix everything in his new home. With nobody else to help us, talagang it will be a struggle to do things on our own. We need extra hand.

Also, I admit that deep inside, I am longing for a company of family. For the past two months, it's only been just me and Ford. It will be nice to have the parents around. I know Ford misses them so much.

My husband has a good set of parents, I am sure that I'll never have problems with them. I always say that I am lucky because unlike other in-laws, mine are not child-dependent and pakialamero/a. They let us be. They're just there if we need them.

Having the parents here would definitely entail a lot of personal sacrifice on my part (i.e. goodbye for now, "me" time!) but it's ok. I will try my very best to be a very good daughter-in-law to them. I owe them that.

No comments:

Post a Comment