Thursday, December 14, 2017

Baby Marco's First Birthday Party

Nathan only has three friends here in BC (and I got two) so imagine how excited we were because one of them celebrated his birthday with a party last Saturday, December 9.

Baby Marco's birthday is actually November 30 but his mom Tess was only able to get a slot at the Queensborough Community Centre (in New Westminster, BC) for December 9. They live in a townhouse so they opted for a bigger venue for the party.


Tess' invite said the party is at 1 to 5pm. We reached the place at around 2pm (we were so busy that morning plus she asked me to pick the cake up from Safeway) but they were still decorating the place. The food wasn't even there yet. It was perfectly understandable because they rented the place for 1-5pm and they could only start fixing the place by 1pm. Tess also lacked manpower who could help her full-time. That's the thing here in Canada, inasmuch as your friends would want to lend a helping hand, they are restricted by their own situations din. We either have work, other appointments, some familial/household obligations, etc. Like me, I couldn't come early because I had to take a language exam at 10am. Juris couldn't come early too because they have a scheduled heater cleaning at home. Tess only had herself, her husband, and mother-in-law to fully rely on that day so it was really challenging. I am glad though that some of her other friends arrived earlier than us and they helped her arrange the place.

As expected, Mommy Tess went overboard haha! Super dami ng handa and echos. In fact, Juris' Caucasian husband was so shocked, saying that it was so extravagant. In Canadian standard, talagang bongga na ito. Juris' reply to her husband was: "This is how we Filipinos do parties."  Haha!

The place itself was super expensive na for $400/4-hours, if I remember correctly.


The food was overwhelming. Canadians typically serve pica-pica lang for children's parties. Filipinos have it all -- from appetizers, to main dishes, to desserts, to kung anik-anik pa.


Such a long table for the food.


And what's a Pinoy party without a lechon? But yeah, ganito lang ang lechon dito sa Vancouver. Roasted pork na Chinese style/tasting. It costs around $240-280 siguro.


Most of the party decorations were from Pinas. Tess and her family went home last October so they were able to hoard a lot from Divisoria.


So many goodie bags, souvenir items, and prizes. The kids were so delighted!


I am a "cake person" though I generally don't eat cakes (except for plain chocolate ones). Baby Marco had two cakes that day.


This one is nice. It's hard to find a nice-looking fondant cake here in Canada. Very pricey pa. I forgot to ask Tess where she got this.


This is the cake that we picked up from Safeway (a grocery/supermarket). It's worth $30. Ganito lang talaga ang mga normal cakes dito, mas maganda pa ang cake sa Pinas na nabibili sa panaderya sa kanto (objectively). I guess Tess bought this for dessert. The main cake wasn't sliced eh.


At around 2:30, the party hasn't started yet and the kids were getting hungry. It's good that they had green grapes, may nakain ang picky-eater son ko.


Nathan loved his party hat haha!


Feel na feel niya. Bata na talaga siya.


I am now enoying kiddie parties because of this little guy.


It was almost 3pm when the party began with a prayer. Marco's dad wasn't there yet because he went home to take a shower. Sobrang nangarag siguro. But people were starving na so kelangan ng magpakain.


Here's two of my many many plates. It was a total cheat day for me. Aside from rice, I ate a lot of pancit, spaghetti, and puto. Carbs overload talaga. I was super hungry din kasi, my last meal was just a sausage and egg mc muffin from McDonald's.


I really loved the lumpiang shanghai. I must have eaten 20 pieces, seriously. Carbs din ang lumpia wrapper kaloka. But I didn't mind. It was the first time since I was diagnosed with diabetes that I splurged on carbs. I felt that  I deserved it din because the language test that I have just taken that morning stressed me out the past week (I'll blog about it later).


I was expecting a lot of guests, given the size of the venue, but not so many came. It's really hard for all people to be free at the same time, especially here in Canada. Everybody's busy. December na rin kasi so maraming ibang events and parties. Yung ibang friends ni Tess ay humabol na lang yata sa bahay that night.


Nevertheless, we had so much fun. This little tikes inflatable bouncer was a perfect entertainer to the kids. It was lent by Tess' friend.

 

Super enjoy si Nathan. First time niya, lol. If only we have space, I would consider getting one kasi for sure masusulit sa bagets.


While eating, Tess started the "bring me contest." Nathan didn't want to participate at first but when I took him in front with me to bring the Philippine peso that was asked, ayun natuwa sa prize. Nagready na sa mga susunod pero hindi na kami nanalo uli haha.


It was Nathan's first time to join party games. Clueless talaga siya haha.


But he learned fast!


I am glad that he has overcome his anti-social behavior. Though still a bit shy and reserved, hindi na siya takot sa tao, especially to those who he sees often.

His favorite part of the party was the blowing of the cake's candle. He enthusiastically sang the happy birthday song for Marco.


Kuya Nathan and the birthday boy. Nathan sincerely cares for Marco and treats him like a little brother.


Mommy Juris, Mommy Tess, Mommy Ces. I am glad to have met and made friends with these two.


 After much eating, time for endless selfies!

My face looks so thin haha! Anggulo lang yan. I naturally have malapad face and even though I've lost a couple of pounds already, malaki pa rin talaga in person.


Juris took this photo. It is very rare that there's someone who can take our family picture. Medyo pangit lang ang lighting that day.


We stayed until the end. We helped in the clean-up. This is actually the most difficult part of throwing a party here, you'll be the one to clean the mess. Walang waiters or waitresses, walang helpers. Kaya mostly disposable ang gamit -- from utensils to table cloths, etc.


Buti na lang we didn't have to clean the floor and fold the tables. Yung centre na raw ang in-charge dun.


I felt sad when they started bursting the balloons. Nakakapanghinayang. Ang daming bata sa Pinas ang gustung-gusto ng lobo. Though I am now living in a land of plenty, where kids are very much privileged, I still can't help but think of my less-fortunate kababayans in the Philippines. Ewan ko ba.


We were able to bring home a lot of food, sobrang dami nga kasing natira kaya lahat kami sangkatutak ang uwi.

The boy was so happy with his loots. He particularly liked the McQueen plushie.


I loved the Goldfish crackers naman. Ang cute! Sakto, hindi nako bibili nito pambaon sa Pinas.


***************

Thank you for inviting us, Baby Marco! I am sure that this is just the first of your many birthday parties that we'll be attending! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment